Apple pie recipe is the quintessential American dish. Interestingly, neither the apple nor the pie itself is native to America. But Americans have adopted it as if their own and love it. It is eaten any time of the day but mostly as an evening snack or in the breakfast. Apple pies are not very difficult to make.
There are many variations to its method of preparation and many people have their own recipes, customized according to their tastes. Here, we share with you a simple and basic recipe of apple pie which you will find easy to make and it tastes yummy too.
The crust or dough of the apple pie can be bought from the stores or it can be made at home too. We will share with you its recipe so that nothing is left out.
For pie dough
- Flour 2 ½ cups
- Salt 1 tsp
- Butter 100 grams
- Iced water as needed
For main filling of pie
- Apple 2 ½ pounds
- Sugar 150 grams
- Flour 2 tablespoons
- Salt ½ tsp
- Cinnamon 1 tsp
- Nutmeg ¼ tsp
- Lemon ½
- Egg 1
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl until they combine well.
- Take cold butter and cut in cubes.
- Add cubed butter in the flour bowl and mix with fork. This will form small lumps.
- Take the cold water and gradually start adding in the flour dough. The idea is not to make it very sticky or very dry either.
- Knead the flour dough with your hands and form a lump. Cover this with a thin film and refrigerate.
- Take apples. Peel them, cut them in slices and take out their cores.
- In a bowl add apples, cinnamon, squeeze in some lemon juice, nutmeg, sugar, flour, salt and mix well.
- After all the apples are evenly coated put the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 375F.
- Take out the refrigerated flour dough for the pie. Cut in half and roll out both halves.
- Using a rolling pin first roll one half of the dough on the rolling pin and then unroll it in a pie dish. This will go into the oven. Trim any extra dough around the edges. The dough should sit perfectly on the dish.
- Put the apple mixture on the dough and spread it out.
- Roll out the other half of the dough on top of the dish.
- Once again remove any extra dough from the edges and properly seal the edges. Tweak the dough around the edges to create a wave-like effect.
- Now take that egg, beat it and brush it on top of the pie and sprinkle some sugar too.
- Cut slits (4 or 6) on top to create a vent.
- Put the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. Once baked the color will turn a beautiful golden brown.
- Let it cool before you slice it.
- You can top it with whipped cream, ice cream or any sauce or syrup you fancy.
- This particular recipe serves 8 people, you can add or reduce the ingredients to adjust to your serving requirement.
- You can use any type of apples but Granny smith apples are the favorites to make apple pie.