Instant pot cook rice is a vey useful invention of our times. It is convenient, easy to use and saves a lot of time and energy. An instant pot is shaped like a pot with a detachable lid on top. It runs on electricity. You can cook anything in an instant pot. This includes your rice, beans, noodles, poultry etc. There are preset buttons to cook different types of food. You put your stuff inside the pot and press the relevant button.
Alternatively, you can use the Manual button. Just press manual after you have put your rice etc. and it will start cooking. The instant pot uses steam to cook your food. So, you must always put some liquid like water, oil or broth with your food in it. Never use the instant pot without any liquid. It will malfunction and you will probably have to take it for repairs.
The instant pot has an inbuilt mechanism to release the pressure built up by the steam inside the pot. Once the food is done it will bleep and then start releasing the pressure gradually. It usually takes 10 minutes to release the pressure. Just wait for it. If you are in a hurry you can release the pressure on your own. There is a nozzle provided on the lid. Turn it towards the ‘venting’ option and it will let off the steam. The nozzle has two options: sealing and venting. Whenever you intend to cook something, always make sure to turn this nozzle to ‘sealing’ option. It will trap all the steam inside the pot to cook your food. With that let us tell you how you can cook rice using an instant pot.
How to cook rice in an instant pot:
You basically need two things
Rice 1 cup
Water 1 cup
- Rinse your rice well. Use long grain rice as when cooked they won’t join together to form lumps. Rinsing with water is important otherwise your rice will end up starchy.
- After rinsing put the rice in the pot and add the required amount of water and then close the lid.
- Make sure that the nozzle on top is turned towards ‘sealing’ option.
- Start the instant pot using either the Rice or Manual button.
- Once done the pot will bleep. Let it cool off naturally. It will take around 10 minutes.
- Your rice is ready now. Remove the lid and check the quality of the rice. If you think they are undercooked repeat the process.
- You can also add oil and salt with rice. It will add taste and improve the texture of the rice.
- This recipe is for simple white rice. You can add other ingredients like spices, herbs and seasoning to prepare any other type or rice that you want to cook.
- If you want your rice to be sticky then increase the qty of water. With the equal ratios of both rice and water the rice will come out fluffy and not lumpy. In case you prefer sticky rice use 1.25 cup of water for 1 cup of rice.